Pages

Sunday, September 12, 2010

Please Pass the Sherry- Chicken Tetrazzini

Last week I made Chicken Tetrazzini, pg. 120 by Mrs. Henry P. Staats. Chicken Tetrazzini reminds me of babies and funerals. It is definitely the classic put in the freezer and bring to someone's house kind of dish. But this is a dish I might start making for myself instead. This was delicious and I definitely want to make it again.
   The main reason I think I loved it was the sherry. I didn't realize how much I loved it. I always generously put a  lot of sherry in my she crab soup, or actually I put in all the sherry they put on the table. The receipt called for the mushrooms to be sautéed in butter and sherry (and I also added in all the sherry to the sauce that was not absorbed by the mushrooms). The apartment smelled fantastic.
whisking forever
    Some other notes on the receipt. I used chicken leftover from a rotisserie bird we ate the night before. So it was a lot of dark meat, which I usually don't like but it tasted pretty good in the casserole.  I do think I failed a bit in making the cream. It required continuous stirring for 30 minutes over a double boiler. The apartment gets so hot when cooking that I find it hard to stand over the stove for that long. (anyone who has lived in a tiny ny apartment knows what I am talking about!) But it tasted really great anyways.
only negative, it does not plate in a picture pretty kind of way
   I also halved the receipt because it makes a lot and Andrew won't eat leftovers (high maintenance!).  And this will put some weight on the hips kind of receipt with all the cream, butter, and cheese. This has been my favorite dish, and I am going to seek out the rest of the sherry receipts asap!

No comments:

Post a Comment