Pages

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

French Dressing, Pg. 218

There are a few receipts for "French Dressing" in the cookbook, and I noticed for the first time tonight that I chose the only one not attributed to a League member. I'll never know who to credit for this tasty condiment - a mystery for the ages!

Full Disclosure: I make most of my salad dressings. Just chalk it up to the Martha in me. More than anything, though, it's the fact that I usually get sick of a full bottle before it runs out. (How many half-opened bottles of salad dressing do you have in your fridge???)

Not to mention that it's super-cheap to make on your own. Anyway, enough expostulating on the merits of homemade dressing and to the specific receipt at hand.

These were some of the veggies I used with the dressing.
This French Dressing isn't at all similar to the orange-colored one readily available in most grocery stores. This receipt, made with salt, sugar, mustard, black pepper, celery salt, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, olive oil and vinegar, was a mellow yellow. I used extra virgin olive oil, which I'll switch out for regular olive oil next time because the olive-y taste was too strong in this batch. I also ended up adding more vinegar and mustard and a touch of honey. I generally like more vinegar in my dressing than most people.

I poured the dressing over steamed green beans, which I ate cold. I obviously ate it with lettuce. I went a little overboard with veggies at the farmer's market and made good use of the dressing all week. The receipt made a hefty batch. 

So hefty, in fact, that I predictably grew sick of it. I'll definitely make it again, I'll probably just halve the ingredients. 

On to the next culinary adventure!

-Lauren

No comments:

Post a Comment