Pages

Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Well...I liked the Crust.

scooping out some pumpkin guts, unaware of the disaster ahead
Yep, that sums up this pie. Meaning my guests only liked the crust of a store boughten pie dough. Which also means, I experienced my 2nd week of a row of Charleston Receipts failure.
  This week, an in anticipation of my sister and her in-laws visiting me in NYC for thanksgiving I decided to make Mrs. S. Edward Izard Jr.'s (Ann Kirk) Pumpkin Pie. It appeared straightforward and I thought if it turned out well I would make it for the Baileys when they visited next week. Well, glad I gave this one a test run!
steaming the pumpkin for mashing
 
   I really have no idea what went wrong here. I followed the receipt to a T. I must admit that I have never stewed a pumpkin and have always relied on Libbys Pumpkin Pie Mix. Last year, if you recall, there was a random shortage of Libbys Pumpkin Pie. So I scavenged 3 grocery stores in Spartanburg looking for the magical stuff. I ended up with a lot of canned pumpkin. We had pumpkin pie, pumpkin soup, and pumpkin roulade. What can I say, my father and I love pumpkin. We went twice last weekend to Shake Shake for pumpkin pie concretes.
Overflowing!
Leftover Pumpkin Pie Filling, I think enough for another pie itself!

    So I really have no idea what went wrong. I think I stewed the pumpkin properly. I scooped out the guts. I believe I used the proper sugar pumpkin required for pies. I knew that when I added the 2 cups of milk I was going to have a problem. It was WAY too much liquid. Perhaps the pie should have been deep dish. Not sure, but when I poured the ingredients in the pie shell (premade, I admit) it poured all over and out of the dish. There is no way it would all fit. It was a HUGE mess. And unfortunately the beaten eggs, I believe due to their slimy texture, were the first to run out of the pie. I literally put the pie in the oven and scooped some eggs out of the spillover from the baking sheet I put below and put it back in the pie in the oven.
  The receipt did not mention how long I should cook the pie. I can't recall how long I baked it for. All I know is that I was about to go to bed and give up on this disaster and it finally looked finished. But it took an unusually long time and created a mess! And tasted not so yummy.
  So long story short. I tried making the pie the old fashioned way. And I honestly I miss my Miss Libby's. Oh well. Can't say I didn't try!
just a glance at some of the mess of prepping for a pumpkin pie
I have no idea what that gross white stuff is, egg perhaps?
xoxo
christine

1 comment:

  1. Christine, thank you so much for this post - it totally cracked me up right when I thought I was about to have a Con Law breakdown. Although I'm very sorry that your pie didn't turn out (though not for lack of effort!), at least you were able to provide your readers with entertainment! Hope to see you over Christmas :)

    Spears

    ReplyDelete