Pages

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Likker Pudding, Not To Our Liking

the finished product, twenty minutes before it was thrown away
So this week I decided to make Mrs. W.T. Hartman's(Betty Blaydes)Likker Pudding. I figured, well I love sweet potatoes, I love liquor, what is there not to like? Well, a lot apparently. While Lauren had great success last week, I had no such luck this week.
    First, it takes forever and a day. I am not sure if this could have been accomplished with a food processor or not, but if it can, do it. I don't own one (I only own pyrex dishes, a skillet, and very dull knives to whip up culinary wonders with). When you grate a sweet potato, whatever you do, don't cut it in half to grate. I thought it would be easier to hold and grate that way. It is not. It is much, much easier to grate if you just keep the entire peeled potato whole. I learned this the hard way after spending 45 minutes grating and also loosing a thumbnail and almost my thumb!
some rum to add
  Once you have all the potatoes ready, it still takes 2 hours to bake. 2 hours is a long time in my book for something involving sweet potatoes.
   And the main reason I think I did not like it was actually the liquor. I made a dish very similar to this one for thanksgiving last year. I think it was from the 'Pon Top Edisto cookbook. It also involved sweet potatoes and liquor. I made the mistake of using the only bourbon I could find, which was fighting cock. Let's just say that is the only thing anyone could taste, meaning my father was the only one who liked the potatoes. I used rum this time, but I ran across the same problem. I don't really like dark liquor, so it shouldn't be a surprise to me that I would not like it. But poor Andrew dutifully took a bite and said, "this is really sweet". And I replied, "It is awful, I know, you can only taste the liquor, and I didn't even put it all in." And he agreed and looked relieved that he did not have to eat it.

   So this is where the Likker Puddign ended up: the trash! And it takes a lot for me to throw away something that took 3 hours of my time. It was that bad!
likker pudding meets its maker

No comments:

Post a Comment