Pages

Friday, August 27, 2010

Spinach Souffle, Pg. 183

A trip down memory lane also inspired my recipe selection this week. One of my favorite side dishes growing up (one of Trish's specialities) was Stouffer's spinach souffle - straight from the grocer's freezer. Mrs. David Maybank (Marion Taber) offered up her own homemade receipt in Charleston Receipts and as the instructions didn't require any obscure ingredients or a ring mold, I thought "Why not?"

The makings of spinach souffle
This picture was taken outside my oven door about halfway through the cooking process.

Ah! The anticipation! Will is rise or won't it?

It won't. It didn't. This is as high as it got.

Now before you think I bit off more than I could chew, I have made a cheese souffle before. And it rose. This one, though, not so much.

I separated the eggs. I whipped the whites. I cooled the spinach before folding the ingredients together. I greased my souffle dish and even transformed my massive Thanksgiving roaster into a water bath per Mrs. Maybank's instructions. Then, I set it in a "moderate oven." (Again, what does this mean? 350 degrees? I assumed so - incorrectly, perhaps.)

Is there something I missed in between the lines? I guess I'll have to chalk it up to the fact that the souffle gods weren't on my side this week. That said, it didn't taste too bad. Sort of like creamed spinach. Sort of.

-Lauren

No comments:

Post a Comment