Pages

Thursday, December 30, 2010

Split Pea Soup, Pg. 57; Garlic Bread, Pg. 198

Before Christmas, I was a Charleston Receipts machine! I made three receipts in one week - and I still have to blog about all of them.

Post-Christmas, however, I'm bedridden with the stomach flu and can't even watch Food Network without clutching the toilet. However, I'm going to try to blog about food - for all y'all our faithful followers - without becoming nauseous.

Although D.C. did avoid this week's East Coast Snowmageddon, we did get a few inches earlier this month and I while I spent a day tucked away in our Georgetown apartment, I whipped up a (rather large) batch of split pea soup, receipt courtesy of Mrs. William Dotterer (Sue Bolt).

Brent and I ate glazed spiral ham that week and - for lack of anything better to do with this huge ham bone - I made this soup, which called for one.

It turned out absolutely delicious and Brent said, without a doubt, it was his favorite receipt since we started the project.

Although Mrs. Sue was a little vague on what seasonings to add, I included fresh thyme, fresh rosemary, a few cloves of garlic, salt and pepper. I let the whole pot simmer for several hours, until mushy, as she so precisely recommends.

Alongside the soup, I served Mrs. Thomas A. Huguenin's (Mary Vereen's) Garlic Bread, which was really only a baguette, some melted butter and minced garlic. A simple and delicious accompaniment. 

Wow! It's so shiny!
And, in closing, I must send out all my best wishes to my co-blogger and best friend Christine - who became engaged to her long-time beau Andrew on Christmas Eve! (Engaged in Charleston, no less!) I guess her attempt to serve him mock terrapin didn't drive him away - either that, or he had already bought the ring!

Nevertheless, we'll look forward to celebrating many times over this year and this really provides a perfect opportunity to try out the Charleston Receipt for "Champagne Punch for the Wedding!"

-Lauren

1 comment:

  1. congratulations! you need to host a Charleston Receipts wedding reception!

    ReplyDelete